23 February 2012

Kangaroo Kid

Memo to self: sometime soon or, if the opportunity does not arise until your next baby, by the time you have another baby invest in the material to make your own tiny human pouch sling. In the meantime, the one we have invented with the pink blanket will do. Thanks!

Is it normal for babies to never want to sit/sleep contentedly for more than 5 minutes without being held? Don't get me wrong, I love holding Lynlee and cuddling up with her and all, best part of my day! However, I can only so much with just one available hand and although that list has increased significantly in the short time our little one has been with us, sometimes you just gotta have both. So until the little Peach cares about playtime with her toys or nap time not on Mom's lap, Chris and I invented a helper!
Ok, we didn't actually invent it because it already exists, but I remembered it and Chris pulled out some fabric, found a video on YouTube about it, and helped me to implement this ingenious invention.
I used to smile and shrug off the idea of using a little baby pouch sling thing but now I sure don't! This wonderful creation allows Lynlee to be happy because she can hang out with Mom in her comfy little pouch and Mom is happy because the house gets clean in an afternoon (this may or may not have happened yesterday in my excitement)!
This was our first attempt with a strip of fabric that's the length of about 4 of me stacked on top of each other. We had to wrap it around just a couple times ;)

This was my second attempt with a softer, stretchier, much shorter blanket. I think it worked a little better than the first attempt...Look Ma, no hands!
My only complaint and reason why I'd want the material to sew a more legit one would be because of the huge knot I had to tie so it would actually hold the baby up. The knot itself I don't care about, it's moreso the pain in my shoulder after 20 minutes that does.

This morning we even got up and made some pumpkin chocolate chip cookies together! Well, she slept while I talked about the cookies and prepped them for oven entry. One day, give it a couple years, Lynlee will be in her own cute little apron helping Mommy for real :)
So there you have it, my whole-hearted recommendation for one of these things.
In the words and sing-songy tune of my brother-in-law Jeff, "She really likes it!"

1 comment:

  1. Okay, so I have to share this with you because of this here post. I've worn ALL of my nephews and nieces in Kangas and love it, so I can only imagine the wonderfulness of slinging your own little babe. There are a lot of ways to tie them... maybe you can find a way that doesn't involve a huge knot, crampin your style :)
    Here's the link.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PU84rDbdu8Q

    ReplyDelete